JellyPages.com

Friday, June 2, 2017

June! + May Highlights

HAPPY JUNE!!!!!! (One day late.)

Guys. We are SIX months into 2017!! Like, whaaaaat?

June means summer, which means unbearably hot temperatures here! (Although, I sadly won't be taking a break from school.

Anywayyy, let's move on to last month's highlights! :D

May Highlights:
  • I went on a trip with (most) of my youth group to the Fine Arts districts! It was a super fun trip!!! (More on that later.)
  • I got promoted at work! Meet one of Chick-Fil-A's newest Team Leaders! :D
  • Mother's Day weekend was nice! Us kids put together to buy Mom a hammock...and spent the rest of the evening testing it out. B-) Then my sisters and I went to the store and bought stuff for s'mores and made a fire in the outdoor pit! :D We also visited with our grandparents, which is always tons of fun!!
  • I ran a 5k!!!! (And, most importantly, didn't die!)
  • My critique partner and a couple of friends read my draft of Sunlight and Shadows... 0.0 (AND THEY SAID IT WASN'T AWFUL XD)
I think that about settles it for highlights! ;)

Ohhh! So, technically this isn't a May highlight because it happened yesterday, but um, work today was interesting. Our power flickered and went out at 8:30 am... 0.o (This was in addition to our headsets STILL not working because they mess up every time there's a storm, which means we have one person outside at the DT speaker relaying orders over the phone to someone inside.)
Needless to say, we ended up closing and everyone got an hour break to eat pretty much whatever food (since it would go bad sitting there and we heard we wouldn't have power until possibly 11). One of the ladies even braided all of us girls' hair! ;p
Thankfully, the power came back on about an hour later, and we were able to get things back up and running! Whew! It was fun/exciting in a really bad sort of way. XD

Writing:

I think I did well with writing this month, although I still haven't really organized or written much of anything in my already-existing stories.
So, I wrote three short stories/flash fictions this past month. One was for Faith's Imagine This challenge, one came from this picture prompt:

 :
*From Pinterest
Isn't it just SO heartbreakingly amazing??

The other was a sudden idea I had after reading more in depth about 9/11 in American History and chatting with some friends about heartbreaking stories...yeah. XD

Reading:

I read the first two books in Ronie Kendig's Tox Files series. They were interesting! I didn't like the second one as much because of the romance thrown in (nothing inappropriate, I just reallyyy did not like the girl. At all.) But, I am excited for the next book in the series to come out, and plan to read more of Kendig's stories in the upcoming future. Anyone who has read books by her is welcome to give feedback on what your thoughts are on her novels!

Music:
  • Thank God For Something, Sold Out, and Live Like You're Loved all by Hawk Nelson (yes, I've had a recent obsession with this band :D) 
  • Love You Like the Movies by Anthem Lights
  • The Irish Rover, Fields of Glory, and The Rocky Road to Dublin all by the High Kings
  • Keep Your Change by Paul Ruark
Disney songs:
  • Touch the Sky
  • How Far I'll Go
*~*~*~*
Keep Your Change by Paul Ruark. Awesome song! :D

This song by Hawk Nelson has blessed me tremendously. Even when things aren't going as well as we wished they were, we can always find something for which we can thank God!!

*~*~*~*
Verse of the Month:
(Yes, this a new section I'm adding in! What do y'all think?)

"The Lord hath chastened me sore: but he hath not given me over unto death."
Psalm 118:18 (KJV)

<3 The day I read this hadn't been the best, but it reminded me that no matter how far away God may seem, or how hopeless things may be, He has not given up on us! :D
*~*~*~*

Next up, goals!

Goals:
  • Write at least 3,000 words. Check! I'm super excited because I was thinking I wouldn't hit my goal, and then after a history lesson on 9/11, I wrote a story that surpassed my goal in two days. :D My final word count for the month was over 5k!!!! :D
  •  Do more reading than I have been recently. I did a little better! Keeping up (at the moment) with my book a week challenge!
  •  Go to Fine Arts Districts competition (prayers would be appreciated!! I'm not doing any live performances this year, but I'm still nervous about how the results for my entries will come out)! YESSSSS!! And it was soooo much fun! Story time! After competition day was over and we made it back to the hotel, us girls decided to go get ice cream. Well, about five of us took the stairs, while our leader and my sister (also a leader) took the elevator with two of the girls. So, uh, we ended up going out the wrong door (because Rachel had no clue where we were going and should not have been the line leader XD) and got locked out of the hotel...on the complete opposite side from where the van was. *grin* As if things weren't interesting enough, one of the girls accidentally dropped her phone and shattered the screen... *grimace* We walked around for at least ten minutes before we found the others XD But we got our ice cream, and that's what counts, right?? Also, I merited (got first) in my poetry category, and came in second with my flash fiction!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was so excited! Then they asked me to read my poem aloud in front of everyone. I almost died, but I did it! XD
  •  Finally go to a crawfish boil this year... (Hopefully happening next week for our workplace's annual crawfish boil/party. ;P) Yep!! It was fun and the crawfish was yummy!!
  •  Continue reading the bible every day. Yes! Whoop whoop! :D
June Goals:
  • Write at least 3,000 words. Thanks to a couple of my friends, I have a new story idea (possibly a sequel to S&S), so I'm hoping I will meet this goal amidst the craziness of work and school this month. :)
  • Finish planning and start writing my new story (no title at the moment). 
  • Keep up with Book a Week Challenge.
  • Survive month one of summer at work XD
  • Continue reading the Bible every day.
*~*~*~*

That wraps it up for today! How was your May? Any fun summer plans? 

Let me know what you're up to this June! :D

~Livi Jane

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a nice month, Livi! :) I can’t believe that we are already six month into the year either!
    Wait, you work at Chick-Fil-A? That’s so cool!
    Is “Sunlight and Shadows” a book that you’re working on? If so, are you hoping to publish it sometime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I know, it's crazy!
      Yes, two of my sisters and I work there! :D
      And yes, S&S is a novella I just recently began editing. I would like to publish it, but I'm not sure if that will happen anytime in the near future. ;) I may open it to beta-readers soon, though! We'll see. :)

      Delete
  2. Great highlights post, Livi!! :D No power at ChickFilA = definite tragedy, haha. XD

    And I second Rebekah's question. After finishing S&S, I was wondering what your plans are for it next. :) SOO good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Faith! Hahaha, yep! XD
      I'm honestly not totally sure...I'll work on a plan for it as I finish editing, I guess! ;)

      Delete
  3. I have been a bit absent recently because we went on a trip through France and Spain. It was super fun and we made lots of great memories!
    It sounds like you've had a good month! I'd love to read Sunlight and Shadows at some point...
    Oh, and one more thing...my sister started a blog a few weeks ago and I'm sure she'd love it if you check it out! http://thewayofdelight.wordpress.com
    -Aliyah M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, sounds amazing!!! I'm glad you had fun!
      Thanks! We'll see...I'm thinking about getting betas at some point in the near future...I'm not sure exactly what I plan to do with the story yet. :)
      Oh, cool! I'll have to check it out soon!

      Delete