JellyPages.com

Monday, July 25, 2016

Stuck on the Writer's Block

Hello!!

Today I want to talk about writer's block!
Most of us, as writers, have more than likely experienced the dreaded writer's block... More than once.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the best writer in the world (okay, not really, but I feel like I'm a decent writer, pounding out words and flying through chapters at a mile a minute.) ...And other times, I want to hurl my computer across the room and scream in frustration because I've been staring at the screen for hours and haven't gotten more than one sentence (if that) written. (Self-control, must remember. Self-control.) XD

Pleeeeeease!! I need to know!



It's just about the worst thing for a writer...


So, here's a couple tips I've found helpful when I can't seem to focus or get anything typed out. You probably have heard most of them before, but enjoy reading them again! lol

1. Try writing something else. Sometimes it's good to get your mind off what you've been working on. Find a completely unrelated writing prompt, switch to a different project, or change scenes. Try writing something that will flow easily and get your fingers pounding out word after word. It helps to think about something else after pouring over the same thing for hours

2. Go for a walk. Get out in nature! Breathe in the fresh air and search your mind for new ideas. Sometimes a change of scenery helps. :)

3. Eliminate Distractions. GET OFF THE INTERNET!! I have to admit, I ALWAYS get distracted with Pinterest, social media, or email. "Let me just check this real quick..." Two hours later: "Okay, guess I should get back to work."


I've never actually done this (I probably should sometime), but I've heard a good thing to do is turn off your wifi connection. Then you will HAVE to write! (Or stare at a blank screen for five hours, that works too.) ;P
But get in a quiet place, away from people and noises, and try writing.

4. Read a book! Inspiration can come from so many different places. 

And finally...

5. DON'T GIVE UP!!!!!!!!! No matter how easy it may be to want to quit, KEEP ON WRITING. Tell yourself that you will finish this! You can do it!!! *Cheers*

Okay, I think that's about it for today. I really should be writing, but, y'know, I'm sure that can wait. ;)

Have a blessed week, y'all!

~Livi Jane 













4 comments:

  1. Haha, the 1st tip was really good! Once when I was stuck and I my brain was dead I just randomly started typing. I was writing random stuff like "This story puts me through so much. It won't stop. These characters...there's just something about them. They hurt me. And I don't even know why I'm writing this." And I went on that way for a while, and then all of the sudden I got an idea and was able to write more of the actual story. :)
    Anyway, I agree with all your tips. Super good things to do when your brain decides you live on writer's block. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes, I have done things like that before! Sometimes I just switch to writing a scene I've had in my head for a while and come back to where I was stuck later. It definitely helps me get off that ol' writer's block! ;D

      Delete
  2. Great tips, Livi! I find a fresh mind helps too, at times. Especially if you're up really late at night and your brain feels dead. Then I just decide to go to sleep and when I wake up in the morning, I'm ready to write again. Maybe even have more ideas too :D

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Blessing! And yes, I agree! Sleep helps a lot. The best is when you end up dreaming about your story and that gives you new ideas! Or crazy ones... (If only it happened more than once in a blue moon... Or when I actually need it.) ;P Has that ever happened to any of you?

      Delete