JellyPages.com

Monday, July 4, 2016

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!!!!!

Well, the title says it all. Today is the Fourth of July. A common, just-like-any-other day to a lot of people, but not to Americans!

Happy Fourth of July!

I love this one! :D



For us, today is a very, very important day. A special day for us to remember what happened all those years ago on July 4, 1776.

So what actually happened on that day that was such a momentous occasion?

It wasn't the day the Continental Congress decided to declare independence from Great Britain (that happened on July 2, 1776).

And it wasn't the day the American Revolution started (that happened back in April 1775).

And it wasn't even the day that the Declaration of Independence was signed.
(Although there are many disputes about whether or not that is true, the majority of historians believe it was signed on August 2, 1776. Several members, however, did not sign it until a later date, and two others never signed it at all.)

So what is so special about July 4, 1776?

Well, that was the day the Continental Congress officially adopted the Declaration of Independence.

Fifty-six men eventually signed their names at the bottom, knowing as they did so, they were putting their lives at risk. But they were willing to do that, willing to die for the sake of America. That America, their country, would be a free and independent nation.



Also, a little fun fact:
There was a 44-year age difference between the oldest and youngest signers. 
Benjamin Franklin, at 70, was 44 years older than Edward Rutledge, a lawyer from South Carolina who was only 26 at the time of the signing. Rutledge narrowly beat out his fellow South Carolinian Thomas Lynch Jr. by just four months for the title of youngest signer.

******

All right, so I have a poem I had written a couple of months back, when I was thinking about how far down our nation has gone since the Revolutionary War. Even though we are still a very, very blessed country (and the only country that has been under the same kind of government for this long), I couldn't help but wonder how we as a nation have wandered so far from the beliefs of our forefathers. And that is how this poem came about. I hope you enjoy!


The war may be over, the Revolution won,
But now, centuries later, it seems the battle’s just begun,
What happened to our rights, our liberty, our freedom?
It feels like they're gone, that we’ll never again reach them,
Everything seems hopeless, our government a mess,
In my sorrow I wail, “Will anything ever change, turn out for the best?”
I turn my eyes upwards, gazing out at endless skies,
And I see an eagle soaring by, gracefully flying high,
The eagle, a symbol of strength and freedom,
I watch it soar above the clouds, and again wonder, “How come?”
It suddenly hit me, my mind was cleared,
I recalled a verse in my bible held dear,
I knew right at once what we needed to do,
Fall on our faces and cry out to You,
For so many years we ignored Your name,
We promoted ourselves, we wanted the fame,
We turned away from our forefathers beliefs, their ways,
Expecting to make it on our own, we swayed,
Wicked and evil as these people are now,
Revival is coming, if we just call out,
Pray for the Lord to restore our great nation,
Beg for His mercy, and He will listen,
Then the Star-Spangled Banner will fly proudly again,
We stand for freedom and liberty, we love this land!






Also, here is another military-based short story I had written up for today. If you'd like to read (or reread) one of my other military stories, here are the links to those:

I’ve Got Your Back (‘Til the Wheels Fall Off):
“David!”
I heard myself call out my fellow soldier’s name–the man who’d become my best friend–panic overtaking my voice as I caught sight of his still figure, lying crumpled on the ground. I slid to a stop next to him, ignoring the sound of gunfire going on around us.
“Quinn, get...get out of here,” Dave ordered in a raspy voice as he sucked in a pain-filled breath.
Even through his pain, he managed to take note of the crimson stain on my arm. “You’re hurt.”
“Yeah man, so are you.” The word ‘hurt’ underestimated the amount of blood pouring from the wounds in Dave’s side. “I’ve gotta get you back.” I glanced up bewilderedly. A hand stopped me with a weak squeeze. I gazed back down at my friend.
“It’s–it’s no use, Quinn,” he rasped out, pausing to wince as a wave of pain washed over him. “I wouldn’t be able to make it, and you can barely walk yourself.” Tears were beginning to drip down his cheeks, leaving muddy tracks as they ran through the dirt caked on his bruised face.
I felt my throat constrict. “No,” I replied firmly, willing away tears myself. Waves of emotion coursed through my veins.  I shook my head. “We went in this together, and we’re going out together, whether that means we get out alive or not. We’re staying together.”
I clumsily clambered it to my feet and, without another moment’s hesitation, reached out and hoisted Dave up with all my might. I was afraid for a moment that we might both topple back to the ground, but a sudden burst of adrenaline aided me in getting him up across my back and shoulders.
I swayed slightly under the weight of my comrade, but carried on.
“Quinn–”
“I don’t want to hear it, Dave,” I informed the soldier. “We’re in this together. I’ve got your back.”
“‘Til–’til the wheels fall off.” The whisper struck a chord in my heart. That was what we had promised each other, from the time we became best friends. We'd always be there for each other.
“Right,” I agreed thickly, a grunt following my words.
I trudged on for what felt like hours, Dave a dead weight on my back. I had no idea by now if he even was still breathing.
Perspiration was pouring down my face. I don’t recall ever praying as much as I did during that time.
“God, please,” I begged over and over. “Let us make it out of here alive. But if it’s Your will, let us be prepared to meet You.”
I tripped over something, maybe even my own booted feet, and crumpled to the ground, sucking in a tight breath as Dave landed atop me. I couldn't find the strength to move.
“I guess this is it, then,” I murmured, resigning myself to fate. I found Dave’s hand in our tangle of limbs and squeezed it. To my surprise, a small, tight squeeze returned mine. “‘Til the wheels fall off, man. Looks like they’re comin’ off now.”
Something between a snort and chuckle found its way out of Dave’s mouth at my words.
My eyes closed.
I wasn’t sure if I had fallen asleep or unconscious, but the next thing I remember is hearing shouts.
My head jerked up and through my blurry vision I saw them. Soldiers. On our side. They were here. We’d be safe now. Taken home. We’d be okay.
Unbidden tears began streaming down my cheeks as Dave and I were gathered up by our fellow soldiers. I made out one last whispered prayer before falling into a sweet, restful darkness. “Thank You.”





Okay, I think that's about it! I hope you all have wonderfully blessed Independence Day enjoying the freedom God has given us! HAPPY FOURTH!!!


~Livi Jane
















4 comments:

  1. I love all the historical facts you added in here! ;) The peom was so good! And so true. We need revival in this nation, and only God can bring that about!
    And, Wow. Livi, that story was amazing. And the picture for it...wow. You did a really good job. Stories with soldiers who are best friends always seem to make me all teary eyed. Dave and Quinn sounds so amazing! Are you planning on making it into a longer story?
    Happy Independence day!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jesseca! I enjoyed your post as well!
    When I was going over the poem and story last night, I actually got a little choked up. America definitely has been a passion of mine!
    Hm, I'll have to think about it... I have about a million other story ideas, but I really do like the idea of doing a longer military story!
    Haha, I loved the picture, too!! And same to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woah. Amazing story and beautiful poem! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faith! I enjoyed reading your post as well! :) Hope you had a great 4th!!

      Delete