JellyPages.com

Friday, May 6, 2016

Writing/Dialouge Prompt

Hey everybody!

So sorry for such a long wait again; life's still been crazy. I've been babysitting every afternoon for the past few weeks, and I had two softball games tonight and another tomorrow. Adding in school and writing, there's just not enough time! But enough excuses. Here's my post now!

Writing had been getting a little difficult for me a few days back (I think I'm ready to roll again, though!), so I took a break from my story and, with a silly little prompt, wrote a short, completely random one-shot.

Here's the prompt, followed by my story. I encourage any of you who feel like it to try and write your own scene/story with it and even comment it below if you'd like!

Prompt: “Please stop putting things in my microwave.”

And here's my story! Hope you like it! It's about 350 words long.

*******
“Please stop putting things in my microwave.”
My husky voice was completely monotone, followed by an exaggerated, exasperated sigh as I reached out and pulled the crayon away from Liam. The five year old glared at me as I removed the other half of his crayon from the inside of the microwave and tossed them into the basket–far out of the child’s reach–along with a plethora of other items. Rubber bands, thumbtacks, and a jar of peanut butter, to name a few. I turned back towards Liam and let out a groan.
“Do you really want to blow up the kitchen?” I asked, exasperatedly running a hand through my short, dark hair. “Where on earth did you even get a match?”
“Science is cool,” the blond-haired boy responded, frowning as I took the match away.
“Trying to put anything and everything you can find in the microwave is not science–”
 “I just wanted to see what stuff would do if you heated it up,” he cut me off.
“Probably explode.”
His eyes lit up. “Really? Cool! Let’s try the whipped cream can! Or would a plastic bag ignite faster?”
“I give up,” I muttered, tossing my hands up in defeat. “Why did I ever agree to watch you for the day?”
The blond-haired child smiled sweetly. “Because I'm your favorite nephew.”
“You're my only nephew,” I pointed out, rolling my eyes. I reached for my phone. “Seriously, if you try putting anything else in my microwave, I'm calling your mother.”
“It'll be too late by then,” Liam reminded me, a knowing smirk growing on his face. “It'll have blown up already and then it won't matter!”
I groaned and turned away with the phone and pretended to dial. “I'm calling her,” I warned, a hint of playfulness in my voice.
“Hey, Kel?” I said to the imaginary person on the other end. “Yeah, I think you need to speak to Liam about–”
I turned back towards my nephew as I spoke, and stopped dead in my tracks.
“Don't you dare press that start button!” I hollered, lunging for the boy.
Too late.
******

And there you have it! Haha. Hope you all enjoyed!

~Livi Jane



1 comment:

  1. Oh, that's a bad cliffhanger! Please, please ?
    I really enjoyed it!! You did a great job showing instead of telling. Oh, and did I mention that it made me want to read more??? :D

    ReplyDelete